- Put all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. In a separate jug, add 300ml of cold water and add the yeast. Make a hole in the flour mix and pour in the liquid.
- Mix the ingredients and knead on a flat surface for 10 minutes. Make a ball out of the dough and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for around 2 hours.
- Place the Softer Butter between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out – using a rolling pin. Roll into a rectangle shape. Leave the butter in the paper and chill.
- Lightly flour a work top and roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Place the unwrapped butter in the centre of the dough. Fold the two sides of the dough so that the dough meets in the middle and each side covers half of the butter.
- Fold the dough in half – wrap in cling film and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Repeat steps 3-6 twice more – without adding more butter and chill overnight.
- After this, roll out the dough on a floured work top into a rectangle shape and trim the edges. Cut in half – so you are left with 2 long strips. Cut each strip into 6 triangles with 2 equal sides.
- With each triangle – turn up the corners at the base to stretch and widen it.
- At the base – gently role out into a croissant – continue rolling. Make sure the tip of each triangle tucks under the croissant to hold it.
- Optional – to add fillings place in the widest part of the triangle and roll up.
- Bend the ends of the croissants inwards, then place in baking trays lined with baking paper, spaced well apart. Cover with lightly oiled cling film and leave to rise for 2 hrs, or until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix the beaten egg with a pinch of salt and use to glaze the croissants.
- Bake for 16-18 or until risen and golden brown, then cool on wire racks.
Enjoy with Softer butter and jam for a delicious treat!